In
all episodes of Spongebob there is an unequal ratio of females to males. The
characters that are in all episodes are Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr.
Krabs, all males. But Spongebob serves as the median between male and female
traits, he is presented as a male on the show, but often portrays female
traits/actions. For example he often bats his eyelashes, blushes, clasps his
hands together and jumps around and also changes the pitch of his voice,
sounding feminine. In doing this it shows children the stereotypical ideas of
what’s masculine and what is considered feminine.
This show also states how competition is an important factor
in the society we live in today. It shows that all restaurants are always in
competition, constantly trying to one-up each other. For example, Plankton,
owner of the Chum Bucket, is in such a competition with Mr. Krabs, owner of the
Krusty Krab, that he constantly tried to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula
from the Krusty Krab. He wants to steal this to make his business a more
successful enterprise. But in all of Planktons attempts to steal this formula
he fails, which also shows an important factor that evil never wins.

This is good! I like how you included a brief description of Spongebob and list the primary and secondary characters for those of us who haven't seen it in 5 or 6 years. Also, I like how you analyze two different parts of the show: the gender differences and the competition. You could probably go a little bit deeper in your analysis, but I know there is a word limit.
ReplyDeleteI like this! I like how you created a summary for those who might have never seen the show! I like how you stated the gender differences and the competition aspect of the show! It wouldve been so much more interesting if you incorporated the seven types of people on the show! Like greed sloth, and etc. But overall this was really good!
ReplyDeleteI never really realized there was so much gender stereotyping on Spongebob! I think this is a really solid analysis. You dove deep into the waters (no pun intended) and really showcased the fact that Spongebob can be a pretty riské show. I think you did a great job analyzing the fact that spongebob gives a lot of kids the wrong message about working and friends and competition and the difference between men and women. Good job!
ReplyDelete